6.05.2010

Am I the last one to know?

184

I am trying to start a social/support group in the city of Chicago for young adults with Type 1 diabetes and this week was the second of 2 meetings that I have had thus far. Only one person showed up to the coffee house where we have decided to meet. He was a 21 year old diabetic and proved it upon arriving, he took out his meter and checked his blood sugar and then showed my husband and I. "I know you were wondering." he said. And I WAS. I have to admit that it was comforting to see someone else take their blood sugar for a change. It turns out that even though this guy did not use an insulin pump nor a cgms, he had a plethora of information about both of them. I consider myself quite knowledgeable in pumping and cgms-ing, but we can all learn something new sometimes. Which brings me to the purpose of this post, he informed me that I didn't actually have to change my sensor site every 3 days, but instead I could remove sensor when it alarmed SENSOR DONE, re-charge, reconnect and go for another 3 days! How did I not know this? I had been complaining about the idiosyncrasies of the cgms and mine had recently had a lot of errors causing me to change it every 2 or 3 days and I was getting tired of it. It has been life changing advice and I am much happier now that I am not inserting a needle every other day. YAY for advice from other diabetics! I love you guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment