6.09.2010

Alcohol. Beer that is.

62

I think I am going to have to give up beer and I'm having a hard time coming to terms with it. It's not as if I drink it everyday or even every other day, it's occasionally, usually while socializing and always in the summer. It's one of those nice pairs that you only get in certain seasons living in the midwest. Late september & apple picking. Early June & camping. Sweet corn & watermelon. Grilling out & cold beer. I like to drink wine in the winter while curled up inside under a blanket reading a book and beer in the summer while grilling out and playing beach volleyball. So this is why I'm having a hard time realizing that I might not be able to drink beer this summer, I associate with so many fun, social events.

Since having the cgms, I have noticed that beer (even one) spikes my blood sugar instantly. If I even look at a bottle of ice cold beer, the little arrows on my pump start pointing up. After it has shot up to 250, then I come crashing down later into a full on low. I've tried various things, like drinking a beer with food, but it has the same effect. I've tried bolusing for the carbs in the beer and then eating a snack later to avoid the low, but I still end up low. It's what I call a double-low. I can't seem to find a solution for this rapid rise and then sudden free fall. Thus, the solution: no beer. I guess it's good prepatory work for being pregnant if nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment