5.23.2010

Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream with No Insulin

181

My husband and I have been training for Ragbrai (Registers Annual Great Bike Ride Across Iowa). It's 7 days, 433 miles, during one of the hottest weeks of summer in July. It is only two months away and has turned out to be a pretty good goal for the summer, because it means we have to train to get ready. I rode Ragbrai when I was 12 years old with my father (pre-diabetic days) and thus have some experience. However, managing my sugar while doing this type of riding throws a curve ball at me. My husband and I conquered a 40 mile ride today on the Northbranch Trail to the Chicago Botanic Garden. And what I'm discovering about cycling for long distances is that I need a lot of fuel. I ate a protein bar before leaving, drank some gatorade on the way, had a banana when we took a break and last, but certainly not least, I enjoyed some delicious chocolate peanut butter ice cream on the way home. My temp basal was at 40%. The best part of this is that I didn't take insulin for any of it! I think that's amazing. My cgms read a steady 95 the whole way. Which makes me think if I rode enough miles everyday, perhaps I wouldn't need any insulin. Isn't that interesting to think about?

No comments:

Post a Comment